First Nations Law
Ratcliff & Company is respected and recognized as one of Canada's leading law firms for First Nation issues.
For over 35 years, Ratcliff & Company has helped numerous First Nations regain lost lands, re-establish basic rights, and increase their wealth through many forms of resource developments or leasing, as well as the establishment and ongoing management of profitable businesses.
- Aboriginal and Treaty Rights
- Treaty Negotiations
- Aboriginal Governance
- Fisheries and Forestry Matters
- Community Development
- Development of Aboriginal land
- Incorporation of Band Owned Companies
- Commercial Enterprises and Joint Ventures and Partnerships with Non-Aboriginals
- Development of Trusts for economic and other purposes
- Financing and Security Documentation
- Employment issues
Our lawyers have represented various First Nations at all levels of the Canadian legal system and assisted in litigation and negotiations with both federal and provincial governments, including:
- acting in landmark Supreme Court of Canada decisions including Guerin, Sparrow, Gladstone, Delgamuukw, and Haida Nation
- representing First Nations in negotiations leading to the introduction of Aboriginal rights provisions into the Constitution Act, 1982
- representing First Nations in negotiations on the Charlottetown Accord in 1992
- advising in connection with the British Columbia Task Force Report of June 1991 that established the British Columbia Treaty Process
- representing the Squamish Nation in the recovery of ten acres of urban reserve land and in litigation respecting the Kitsilano Indian Reserve, which resulted in a $92.5 million settlement following a 200-day trial in Federal Court
- representing clients in settlements of specific claims and in consultation/accommodation negotiations
Please contact Greg McDade, John Rich, Karl Stephan, Gary Yabsley, Kate Blomfield, Aaron Bruce, Bruce Campbell, Michelle Ellison, Lesley Giroday, Lisa Glowacki, Matt Kirchner, Kevin Lee, Brent Lehmann, Brenda McLuhan or James Tate 604-988-5201
Click on their name for their biography.