500 - 221 West Esplanade
North Vancouver BC V7M 3J3
Tel: (604) 988-5201
Fax: (604) 988-1452
Kate M. Blomfield
Kate has been practicing aboriginal law since 2003 when she joined Ratcliff & Company LLP after clerking with the Nunavut Court of Justice. Her practice focuses on litigation and governance matters for First Nations clients.
Kate has appeared before all levels of Court in British Columbia, the Federal Court and the Specific Claims Tribunal. Recent cases that Kate has worked on include:
- Champagne and Aishihik First Nations, Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation and Teslin Tlingit Council v. AG Canada and Government of Yukon (YKSC)– a constitutional challenge to amendments to Yukon’s development assessment legislation (in progress)
- Tzeachten First Nation, Skowkale First Nation and Yakweakwioose First Nation et al. v. CLC et al. (BCSC), an aboriginal title and colonial reserve claim (settled)
- Huu-ay-aht First Nations v. Canada, 2014 SCTC 7, the first Specific Claims Tribunal decision to award compensation;
- Tsilhqot'in Nation v. BC, 2014 SCC 44, for the interveners CRCA and Council of Canadians in support of Tsilhqot'in title; and
- Ahousaht First Nation v. Canada, 2013 BCCA 300 (leave to SCC denied), the first case in Canada to establish an aboriginal right to fish and sell a wide variety of fisheries resources.
Kate’s governance practice strives to support First Nations self-government. Kate engages with communities, assists with negotiations and drafts laws and policies for First Nations relating to lands, resources, and membership matters.
Kate is called to the Bars of British Columbia and Yukon, and in 2009 completed her LL.M in Law & Governance at Queen’s University, Belfast, on a Commonwealth Scholarship.
- B.A. (Hons), University of British Columbia, 1997
- LL.B, University of Victoria, 2002
- LL.M (Dist), Law & Governance, Queen’s University Belfast, 2009
- Clerk, Nunavut Court of Justice
- Law Society of British Columbia, 2004
- Co-Chair of the CBA Aboriginal Law, Vancouver Section, 2012 - Present
RECENT PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Presenter on Critical Pre-litigation issues: Practical Guidance and Best Practices at Affinity Institute Conference on Aboriginal Title Litigation – February 2016
- Interviewed by the Lawyers Weekly regarding Louie v. Louie 2015 BCCA 247
- Presenter on Implementation of Commercial and Trade Rights at the CBA National Aboriginal Law Conference, Membertou, NS, June 2015
- Presenter on Recent Decisions of the Specific Claims Tribunal, CBA Aboriginal Law Section Meeting, October 2014
- Presenter on Provincial Laws and Aboriginal Title, at Affinity Institute Conference on The Significance and Implications of the Tsilhqot’in Decision, Vancouver, September 2014